At the first hint of injury, it is crucial to protect your health and your legal rights. There are probably as many types of accidents as there are types of personal injury claims. But especially when your injury could be the result of the negligent or intentional conduct of someone else, it is absolutely critical that you get prompt medical attention as soon as possible. If you have sustained injuries in an accident not of your own making and have not already received prompt medical attention, please do so before you continue reading, then contact a skilled New York City and Westchester County personal injury attorney today.
Why should you seek medical attention after an accident in New York?
The reasons you should obtain medical attention promptly after an accident are as follows:
- Protect your health: Seemingly insignificant symptoms can indicate a serious injury, and whatever is wrong is likely to get worse if left untreated. Get prompt medical attention after an accident if you feel even the slightest level of discomfort or pain.
- Medical care confirms your injuries: You will need evidence to back up the assertions in your personal injury claim and the other side will want more than your word as to the nature and extent of your injuries, but until you see a medical professional, you do not have a complete picture of your harm.
- Medical attention may be required under your insurance coverage: The Empire State does mandate insurance coverage, so your particular plan may require you to receive medical attention before it can begin the process of paying your claim.
- Medical treatment can help establish causation: The longer you wait to see a doctor after an accident, the easier it is for someone else to argue that your injury was not caused by the accident.
- Waiting can make your injury seem less severe: By waiting to see a doctor, you are inviting questions about the seriousness of your injuries.
- Waiting can reduce your settlement: Without knowing the full extent of your injuries or what the medical costs will be to treat them, a settlement check might seem more generous than it really is.
By receiving timely medical attention, you set yourself and your personal injury claim on the path to a more favorable possible outcome. If you have any other questions, please call our highly competent firm today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Baez Legal Group handles a wide array of injury claims, including those sustained in auto accidents, slip & falls, and construction and other workplace accidents. We also help those hurt because of defective products, acts of medical malpractice, and the families of wrongful death victims. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.