Speed limits are in place for a reason, and when truckers fail to heed them, they endanger themselves and all those around them. Speeding is among the most common causes of truck accidents in New York. If you are someone who has recently been injured in one, please read on, then contact an experienced New York City and Westchester County truck accident lawyer to learn how speeding contributes to truck accidents in New York.
How can speeding lead to New York truck accidents?
Though at times it can be difficult to discern who was at fault in an auto accident, the liable driver is relatively clear, especially if he or she was driving a truck over the speed limit. Due in large part to a reduction in reaction times and amplification of the force of impact, speeding often results in significant injuries. That is because speeding is complicated by the following behaviors:
- Unsafe lane changes: Speeding drivers may not look to ensure they are not driving into the path of another motorist. When people fail to check blind spots or fail to check at all, very serious accidents can occur.
- Ignoring traffic lights and signs: Because of their diminished capacity to respond to traffic lights and signs, negligent drivers are likely to collide with motorists who are following the laws.
- Failing to control speed to avoid a collision: Due to their high rate of speed, negligent drivers often fail to negotiate traffic and cannot stop in time to prevent a collision. These often result in rear-end accidents.
- Failing to account for weather conditions: Though always ill-advised and dangerous, speeding in inclement weather can be especially hazardous, because even if the driver brakes in time, the conditions of the road surface may prevent their truck from stopping.
- Overtaxing truck parts: Driving erratically at a high rate of speed can be taxing to truck parts and lead to untimely breakdowns, jackknifing or rollovers.
Regardless of the extent of your injuries, you should contact a competent New York City and Westchester County personal injury attorney to discuss your options.
How can a New York truck accidents attorney help you recover damages from a speeding driver?
Our firm will be able to inform you of your rights as well as prepare and present your evidence in court. Furthermore, a qualified legal professional will help you receive compensation for both economic and non-economic damages such as the following:
- Medical treatment
- Lost income
- Property loss
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of consortium
Our firm is here to help you, so please give us a call today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Baez Legal Group handles a wide array of injury claims, including those sustained in auto accidents, slip & falls, and construction and other workplace accidents. We also help those hurt because of defective products, acts of medical malpractice, and the families of wrongful death victims. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.