Summer is here, and swimming pools are one of the most popular places to be. Because of this, it is essential that you take reasonable precautions to make sure that you and your loved ones stay safe. If you were hurt because of a pool owner’s negligence, you will need to reach out to our firm today to discuss your legal options. Our dedicated New York City and Westchester County personal injury attorney can help you. Give us a call today to get started.
What are the common causes of swimming pool accidents in New York?
In New York, pool owners, just like all other property owners, have a duty to make sure their property is safe for all of those who enter it. In the event that a pool owner fails to keep their property safe, and an accident occurs, he or she may be held responsible. This can be referred to as pool owner negligence. You will want to take the following steps so that you can evade injuries:
- Advise swimmers of shallow areas where they cannot dive
- Do not leave a child unattended in the water or near it
- If the pool is deep and people are not able to stand, make sure they are strong swimmers before allowing them in the pool
- Stay away from drains and make sure pools have drain covers
- Install proper barriers, covers, alarms, and fencing on and around the pool
- Always swim sober
- Get rid of any movable ladders when the pool is not being used. Children who are unable to swim are often drawn to pools and removing ladders can prevent them from climbing into the pool and harming themselves.
- Pool owners would like to know how to perform CPR just in case someone is drowning
- Avoid electrocution by prohibiting electronic devices near the poor
Can I pursue legal action after a swimming pool accident?
In order to obtain compensation from a swimming pool injury, you must be able to prove that your injuries are an immediate result of a negligent pool owner. In the state of New York, there is a statute of limitations of three years, which means that if you fail to file your personal injury claim within three years of your pool accident, you will risk losing the chance to recover the damages you need to move forward.
Personal injury claims are time-sensitive. Give our skilled personal injury attorneys a call today to ensure you are not missing any of your claim’s important deadlines.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Baez Legal Group handles a wide array of injury claims, including those sustained in auto accidents, slip & falls, and more. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.