Motorcycle accidents can result in serious life-altering injuries. If you were hurt in one, you will need an experienced New York personal injury attorney on your side. Contact the Baez Legal Group today to speak with our dedicated legal team.
How do motorcycle accidents occur in New York?
Motorcycle accidents can happen in a number of ways. In some cases, they can occur as a result of inclement weather conditions, poorly maintained roads, or faulty mechanical parts. However, more commonly, motorcycle accidents are the result of driver negligence. Some of the most typical kinds of driver negligence that our firm has seen include the following:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Ignoring blind spots
- Driving while sleepy or fatigued
- Unsafely changing lanes
- Disregarding traffic lights, signs, or all other rules and regulations of the road
Is a motorcyclist covered under personal injury protection in New York?
In the state of New York, motorcyclists are not covered under personal injury protection (PIP). Personal injury protection is no-fault insurance that covers medical expenses and lost wages after an auto accident. If you are not covered under PIP, you will have to pay for your own medical expenses, except if you have your own health insurance or are able to collect damages from the person that is liable for your accident.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, it is in your best interest to retain the services of an accomplished personal injury attorney to ensure that you and your future are protected.
Can I recover compensation after a motorcycle accident?
You will need to fulfill the burden of proof if you were hurt in a motorcycle accident and would like to pursue legal action and recover compensation. This means that you will need to provide as much evidence as possible pointing to the negligence of another. Take the following steps immediately after your accident, if you are able:
- Call the authorities. The police will be able to dispatch an ambulance to the scene and file an accident report.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident. Sometimes, motorcyclists might wear bodycams so that they have the footage in the event that an accident occurs.
- Seek medical attention to ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents that disclose the severity and origin of your injuries.
- Reach out to an experienced New York personal injury attorney that can help you obtain more evidence that can be key to your claim.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Baez Legal Group handles a wide array of injury claims, including those sustained in auto accidents, slip & falls, and construction and other workplace accidents. We also help those hurt because of defective products, acts of medical malpractice, and the families of wrongful death victims. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.