Car accidents are extremely common in New York State, and if you’ve been injured in one, you should speak with a New York City & Westchester County car accident lawyer from The Bàez Legal Group who can inform you of your options going forward. Continue reading and contact us today to learn more about car accidents and how we can help if you’ve been hurt in one.
NYC & Westchester County Car Accident Lawyer | Here to Help
Over the years, we’ve seen firsthand just how significantly a serious car accident can affect a person’s life. We know that the pain of such an accident often goes far beyond physical injuries. You can depend on a New York City & Westchester County auto accident lawyer here at The Bàez Legal Group to handle the legal side of your issue while you focus on what matters most: healing.
Causes of Car Accidents
As you can imagine, thousands of car accidents happen in New York State every single day. At times, they are out of the driver’s control. For example, if someone gets stuck in a snowstorm and crashes as a result, it’s often not because of their negligence, but instead because of the fact that a car is very difficult to control in heavy snow. That being said, in most cases, car accidents do happen because of negligence. Some of the most common types of negligence we see are as follows:
- Texting while driving: Distracted driving is the number one cause of auto accidents in the United States. This shouldn’t come as a surprise, as almost everywhere you look, you can see people driving with their noses tilted downward, looking at their phones. If you were hurt because of someone who was texting while driving, our firm is here to help.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol puts everyone on the road at risk. Unfortunately, many people make this horrible decision and injure others as a result. Our firm can look to hold the drunk driver, as well as the establishment that served the drunk driver accountable for their actions.
- Speeding: Speeding is a factor in nearly every auto accident. Speed limits are in place for a reason, and when they are ignored, unfortunately, serious accidents can happen. Not only can speeding cause accidents, but it can also make certain accidents all the more devastating.
- Ignoring traffic lights or signs: Traffic lights and signs are there to tell people when it is safe to drive and when it is not. They also tell people to slow down, watch for pedestrians, and more. When they are ignored, serious accidents and injuries often ensue.
Ultimately, when anyone neglects to follow the rules and regulations of the road and they cause an accident, the injured party should be entitled to financial compensation.
What to Know About PIP in NYS
Personal Injury Protection, also known as PIP, is a form of no-fault auto insurance that will essentially cover a portion of your medical bills if you are injured in an auto accident, regardless of who was at fault. Each motorist is required to purchase at least $50,000 in PIP. You should also note that if your injury prevents you from returning to work, PIP may cover up to $2,000 per month or 80% of your monthly earnings (whichever is less). This will only go on for three years after the accident and up to your policy’s limits. Unfortunately, PIP often does not cover the entire cost of an injury, which is why if you’ve been hurt because of another driver’s negligence, you should hire an experienced New York City & Westchester County personal injury attorney who can fight for your full compensation.
Injuries Commonly Associated With Car Accidents
As you can imagine, car accidents can lead to some very serious injuries. At times, these injuries can be catastrophic. Some of the most common injuries associated with car accidents are as follows:
- Concussions and other forms of traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Disfiguring injuries
If you’ve sustained any of the aforementioned injuries because of someone else’s negligence, you need a New York City & Westchester County personal injury attorney on your side.
Documenting a Car Accident
After being hurt in a car accident, it is paramount that you do everything in your power to document the accident (as long as you are physically capable). If you can, please try to take the following steps:
- Call the police. They will send an ambulance to the scene that can take you to a hospital for immediate medical treatment.
- Get the other driver’s insurance information. Never apologize to the other driver, even out of politeness. Apologizing may be misconstrued as an admission of guilt.
- Ensure that you ask anyone who saw your accident for their name, phone number, and email address so they can corroborate your claim down the road.
- Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle, and any property involved in the accident.
- After you receive medical treatment, ask your physician for a copy of all medical records associated with your injury.
- Contact an experienced New York City & Westchester County car accident lawyer who can fight for the compensation you deserve and need to heal.
Recovering Compensation After a New York City or New York City & Westchester County Car Accident
As long as you and your attorney can prove that your accident was the direct result of another party’s negligence, you should receive the compensation you need to heal. This compensation can cover the cost of economic damages, such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Funeral expenses (if there was wrongful death)
- Costs of repair or replacement
This compensation can also cover non-economic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- The loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional trauma
Contact an NYC & Westchester County Car Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident because of another party’s negligence, you should not have to pick up the pieces on your own. Contact The Bàez Legal Group to schedule your free initial consultation with our competent and compassionate legal team. We are here to help you in any way we can.