Truck accidents often happen suddenly and can change a person’s life in an instant, and if you were injured as a result of a truck driver’s negligence, you need an experienced New York City & Westchester County truck accident lawyer on your side. Contact The Bàez Legal Group today to learn more about truck accidents and how our firm can help if you’ve been wrongfully hurt in one.
New York City & Westchester County Truck Accident Lawyer | Fighting for You
Nobody wants to go through the personal injury claims process if they don’t have to, however, if you were involved in a truck accident that was not your fault, you may have no choice. A New York City & Westchester County auto accident lawyer can help fight for the compensation you need to move on with your life.
Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can happen for several reasons, though they are most often associated with driver negligence. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents are as follows:
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving while intoxicated
- Exceeding the speed limit
- Distracted driving
- Braking too late
- Unsafely merging or changing lanes
- Ignoring traffic lights and signs
Types of Truck Accidents
As with all other motor vehicles, the unfortunate reality is that they can crash in many different ways. Some of the most common types of truck accidents that our firm sees are as follows:
- Rollover or tip-over accidents: When a truck makes a turn too sharply, is unevenly loaded, or otherwise tips or rolls over and causes an accident, those injured are often entitled to compensation.
- Jackknife accidents: Jackknife accidents happen when a truck driver brakes suddenly, causing the trailer to swing to a 90-degree angle, often swiping other motorists on the way.
- Underride accidents: Underride accidents occur when a car or another motor vehicle rear-ends a truck and gets stuck under the trailer. Often, these accidents are fatal.
- Head-on collisions: Head-on collisions often happen when one motorist is driving the wrong way on a one-way road, or while driving on the wrong side of the road. If you’ve been hit head-on by a truck, you can depend on a New York City & Westchester County truck accident lawyer here at our firm to fight for you.
- Rear-end accidents: Rear-end accidents occur when one vehicle crashes into the back of another vehicle. In most cases, the rear-ending driver is considered the one at fault for the accident.
Who is Responsible for a Truck Accident?
Truck accidents are often complex, in that there are a number of potentially liable parties, including the following:
- Truck Drivers: Truck drivers are most often the party responsible for truck accidents. When truck drivers conduct themselves negligently on the road, such as by driving while under the influence or failing to safely maneuver their vehicle, they drastically increase the chances of an accident occurring.
- Truck Company Employees: Believe it or not, truck company employees can also play a significant role in causing truck accidents. For example, they are responsible for properly loading the truck before it is taken out on the road. When a truck is improperly loaded, it increases the chances of tip-overs and other accidents.
- Truck Company Employers: When someone runs a company, they are responsible for ensuring those they hire are fully qualified. They must also always follow good business practices and the law. When a truck company employer either overworks truck drivers (often in violation of the law) or fails to ensure truck drivers are fully licensed and qualified and a serious accident happens because of it, they may be held liable.
- Defective Truck Parts: To avoid accidents, truck parts must not only be regularly serviced and maintained but designed and manufactured with the driver’s safety in mind. When truck parts are defective, it can cause the truck to malfunction and lead to serious accidents and injuries.
The bottom line is that if you were injured in an accident with a commercial truck due to no fault of your own, you should have a valid personal injury claim, and our New York City & Westchester County truck accident lawyer is here to help.
Financial Compensation After a New York City & Westchester County Truck Accident
Our firm will work to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence. As long as we are successful, you should recover compensation to help cover the cost of the damages you’ve sustained as a result of your accident, including the cost of medical care, lost past and future wages, pain and suffering, the loss of enjoyment of life, emotional trauma, and more.
Statute of Limitations
Remember, every state has a statute of limitations in place when it comes to personal injury claims. In New York, the statute of limitations is three years, which means that you cannot wait any longer than three years from the date of your accident to file a personal injury claim. You should also note that the sooner you speak with our firm, the better. As time goes by, you may not be able to track down witnesses, and it will be harder to prove that your injury was directly caused by the truck accident and not something else along the way. Our firm is prepared to assist you today.
Contact a New York City & Westchester County Truck Accident Lawyer
A truck accident can change a person’s life forever. We know that those injured in truck accidents often have to endure a unique set of challenges that they could have never imagined. This is why you can depend on the legal team here at The Bàez Legal Group to provide you with the quality legal services you deserve in your time of need. Contact us today to schedule your free initial consultation.