Nothing is more painful than losing a loved one, especially because of the negligence of another, but if you find yourself in this terrible situation, you can trust that a compassionate New York City & Westchester County wrongful death lawyer here at The Bàez Legal Group is prepared to fight, tooth-and-nail. for the justice you and your family deserve. Contact us today to learn more about wrongful death claims in NYS and how our firm can assist you.
New York City & New York City & Westchester County Wrongful Death Lawyer | Here for You & Your Family
For decades, our legal team has dedicated itself to helping people when they need it most. Most often, our practice is targeted at helping people who’ve been seriously injured, however, there are times where we are called upon to handle the most difficult injury cases when wrongful death is involved. We know how difficult this time is for you. You have our pledge to help in any way we can.
Wrongful Death Defined Under NYS Law
Before someone can file a wrongful death claim, they must ensure that the death in question meets the standards set out by NYS law. They are as follows:
- There was a death
- The death was caused by another party’s negligence
- If the deceased party had lived, the act would have been considered illegal
- The deceased party left behind a family who has incurred financial loss because of the death
- The grieving party may be entitled to compensation
Who Can Bring a Wrongful Death Claim in NYS?
In many states, multiple parties who were affected by the loss of their loved one may bring wrongful death claims. That being said, in New York, this is not the case. New York law says that only the personal representative of the decedent’s estate is allowed to bring a wrongful death claim and seek damages on behalf of the decedent’s family.
Damages Recoverable in a Wrongful Death Claim
As long the personal representative of the decedent’s estate and their attorney can prove their claim, they should receive financial compensation to help offset the financial and emotional damages they’ve incurred because of the death. Of course, this compensation can never replace a loved one, but it can help families of accident victims find some closure, knowing that justice has been served. Our New York City & Westchester County personal injury attorney can help you recover compensation for the following damages:
- The cost of medical treatment prior to the death
- Lost wages and other benefits incurred because of the death
- The cost of the decedent’s funeral
- Pain and suffering in the decedent’s final moments
- The cost of services once provided by the decedent that you now have to pay for
- 9% interest on the recovery awarded, beginning on the date of death
- Loss of parental guidance for children
- Loss of companionship provided by the deceased
Contact a New York City & Westchester County Wrongful Death Lawyer
An untimely death can absolutely devastate a family, especially if they depended on the loved one financially, emotionally, or both. Our firm’s job is to help you through the legal aspect of the process while you focus on what matters most. Contact The Bàez Legal Group today to schedule your free initial consultation with our firm.